Right-click and select ‘Save As’ to download graphics.
TO BE UPDATED WITH SG’S NEW SOCIAL LANGUAGE
- Millions of people around the world may not get #COVID19 vaccines until as late as 2024—unless President Biden reverses the Trump administration’s #BigPharma boondoggle at the WTO. http://bit.ly/3uPHMFd #PeoplesVaccine
- Extending IP protections for pharma companies has led to higher prices for meds, NOT to greater investment in development of affordable treatments. The WTO MUST waive Big Pharma monopolies for COVID-19 vaccines to end this pandemic. http://bit.ly/3uPHMFd #PeoplesVaccine
- We must make vaccines available everywhere if we are going to crush the virus anywhere. http://bit.ly/3uPHMFd #PeoplesVaccine #TRIPSWaiver
- Please @POTUS Biden: boost vaccines and crush COVID-19 by joining 100 nations to waive WTO monopolies for pharma corps. Choose people over PHARMA profits: http://bit.ly/3uPHMFd #TRIPSWaiver
- The world can make 3.5 billion COVID vaccine doses in 2021—15 billion are needed. To massively scale up production, the WTO monopoly protections for Big Pharma must be temporarily waived NOW. http://bit.ly/3uPHMFd #TRIPSWaiver
- On every continent, in many developing countries, manufacturers can make COVID vaccines, treatments and tests if the technology and formulas are shared. We need the WTO #TRIPSWaiver now! http://bit.ly/3uPHM
- Please @POTUS Biden, dump the 30 greedy #BigPharma CEOs and their deadly blockage of global production of COVID vaccines, treatments and tests. WTO #TRIPSWaiver now! http://bit.ly/3uPHM
- Here’s what happens if WTO rules protect Pharma profits & limit COVID vaccine production: People in poor countries don’t get shots til 2024, outbreaks rage, many die needlessly & variants develop that evade vaccines given in rich countries. http://bit.ly/3uPHM #TRIPSWaiver
Don’t Buy Pharma’s Latest Distraction: A Temporary WTO IP Waiver for COVID Meds Would Not Hand “U.S. mRNA Technology” to China
Opinion: Preserving intellectual property barriers to covid-19 vaccines is morally wrong and foolish, Joseph Stiglitz & Lori Wallach, The Washington Post
Will Corporate Greed Prolong the Pandemic?, Joseph Stiglitz & Lori Wallach, Project Syndicate
The World Needs Many More Coronavirus Vaccines, The New York Times Editorial Board
Waiver of WTO Protections for Big Pharma Will Help U.S. Economic Recovery and Boost U.S. Employment, Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch
Waiver of the WTO’s Intellectual Property Rules: Existing TRIPS “Flexibilities” Unworkable for Necessary Scale Up of COVID-19 Medicines Production, Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch
Waiver of the WTO’s Intellectual Property Rules: Facts vs. Common Myths, Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch
Backgrounder: WTO-Required Monopolies for Pharmaceutical Corporations Obstruct Global Production of COVID-19 Vaccines & Treatment, Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch
TO BE UPDATED WITH NEW GENERIC ACTION ALERT BASED ON ACTIVIST FLYER TEXT
From: You / Your Organization
Subject Line 1: US Must Lift WTO Block on COVID-19 Vaccine Technology!
Millions of people around the world won’t be able to get COVID-19 vaccines until as late as 2024–unless President Biden reverses the Trump administration’s deadly position at the World Trade Organization (WTO).
That’s why we just launched an urgent petition asking the Biden administration to take action.
There can be no end to the public health crises and resulting economic crises here or anywhere if people in developing countries cannot access vaccines and treatments.
Ongoing outbreaks could fuel virus mutations and variants that are not susceptible to the vaccines or that could reinfect survivors. Yet worldwide supplies for vaccines, treatments and testing do not come close to what is needed.
Even after governments provided tens of billions of dollars up front to create them, where and how much of a vaccine is produced is decided solely by pharmaceutical corporations.
Rules at the WTO then require every country to give these corporations 20-year monopoly control over the vaccines and how much they cost.
Today, 100 nations led by India and South Africa are proposing a temporary, emergency waiver of these WTO Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property (TRIPS) rules, so the world can ramp up production of vaccines and treatments necessary to end the pandemic.
This waiver would allow many more governments and companies to make as much COVID-19 vaccine, treatment and testing supplies as possible in as many places worldwide, so everyone can have access.
The Trump administration led a small group of countries to block this waiver.
TAKE ACTION: In the next few weeks, the Biden administration has to declare what the United States will do about it: rejoin the community of nations fighting to stop COVID-19 or prioritize Big Pharma greed?
Thanks for your time,